What is generic Gleevec (Imatinib)? What are its uses?
Generic Imatinib tackles the growth of specific cancer cells. Generic Imatinib is used to cure specific types of leukemia, skin cancer, bone marrow disorders, and stomach as well as digestive system problems. Imatinib tablets are also used for other purposes too.
You should take Imatinib gleevec as prescribed by the doctor. Ask your doctor about complete information of Generic Imatinib.
What are the dosage and directions of taking generic gleevec?
It is strictly recommended to start Imatinib treatment under doctor’s supervision. Always take Imatinib tablets as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take Imatinib tablets more than recommended.
Imatinib capsules should be taken with food. It is advised not to take Imatinib capsules empty stomach. Take Imatinib 400 mg with water. If you don’t want to swallow it, then dissolve the drug in water or apple juice as Imatinib solubility rate is too high.
Avoid crushing, breaking or chewing before swallowing Imatinib gleevec. Do not take crushed or broken Imatinib tablets as it can be passed into eyes, nose and mouth. If you encounter this, wash and sanitize your hands with water and soap. Imatinib 400 mg can weaken your immune system and lose the power to fight against infection. Your blood needs to be tested frequently.
What are the precautions before taking generic Imatinib?
It is advised not to take Imatinib 400 mg if you are suffering from following problems:
- Liver disease
- Cardiac disease or congestive cardiac failure
- Kidney problem
- Underactive thyroid or any upcoming thyroid surgery
- Stomach ulcers
- Recently received chemotherapy
It is advised not to take Imatinib tablets if you are a pregnant or lactating mother as it can harm the developing baby. Use effective birth control while having sex with a woman who can be pregnant. Do not take Imatinib tablets before breastfeeding. Imatinib gleevec drugs can stop the growth of children, if you experience this then you should talk to your doctor about the same.
What should I do if missed Gleevec (Imatinib) dose?
If you missed any Gleevec drug then take it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking it if the next dose timing is too close. Never take two Gleevec drug doses in a single time as it can be harmful to the health.
What should I do if I overdose Gleevec?
Do not overdose Gleevec drug, and if you did it, call your doctor immediately.
What should I avoid while taking Gleevec (Imatinib) treatment?
You should avoid following things if you are taking Imatinib treatment:
- Do not drive after taking Gleevec Imatinib as sometimes, it leads to problems like blurred vision. Be careful while walking as you can face drowsiness and dizziness after taking Imatinib 400 mg.
- Avoid taking grapefruit juice as Imatinib solubility is high and interact with grapefruit juice. This can result in serious Imatinib side effects.
- Avoid contact with sick people or any person suffering from cold and cough. If you experience any infection, inform your doctor immediately.
- Avoid taking part in adventurous activities which may raise the risk of injury or bleeding because Gleevec drug weakens the immune system and takes more time to heal wounds.
- Caregivers should wear gloves while cleaning the patient. Avoid direct contact with the patient or his clothes. Sanitize your hands with soap and water after removing gloves.
What are the side effects of Generic Imatinib?
There are following side effects of Gleevec:
- Allergic reactions like hives, inflammation of the body parts and shortness in breathing.
- Fluid build-up in the lungs like a cough with foamy mucus, wheezing, pain while breathing and gasping for breath.
- Liver problems such as jaundice, upper stomach pain, clay-coloured stool, and dark urine.
- Fluid retention problem like rapid weight gain, shortness while breathing and inflammation.
- Low blood cell counts- unusual bruising, light-headedness, swollen gums, fever, easy bruising, rapid heartbeat, flu-like symptoms, mouth sores, pale skin, and chills.
- Severe skin reactions like inflammation on body parts, blisters, burning sensation in eyes, red and purple rashes, peeling and fever.
- Stomach bleeding problems like coughing up blood and bloody stools.
- Thyroid symptoms like dry skin, muscle pain, sensitivity to cold, feeling tired, joint pain and hoarse voice.
- Tumour cell breakdown symptoms like muscle weakness, weak pulse, fainting, blood in urine, less urination, fainting, unbalanced heart rate and back pain.
Gleevec side effects are as follows:
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Skin rashes
- Nausea, stomachache, diarrhea, and vomiting
If you experience any above, then call your doctor immediately.
What other drugs can interact with generic Imatinib?
There are many drugs which can interact with Imatinib gleevec. You have to inform your doctor before starting any medication if you are taking Imatinib gleevec medication. Following is the list of drugs that interact with Imatinib generic:
- Dihydroergotamine or ergotamine
- Fentanyl (Lazanda, Actiq, Fentora, Abstral, Duragesic, Onsolis);
- St. John’s wort
- An antibiotic- erythromycin, telithromycin, and clarithromycin
- Antifungal medications like ketoconazole, posaconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole
- Antiviral medication gives to treat hepatitis C or HIV/AIDS like atazanavir, telaprevir, saquinavir, cobicistat (Stribild, Tybost), delavirdine, boceprevir, efavirenz, indinavir, nelfinavir, fosamprenavir, nevirapine, ritonavir
- A blood thinner such as Jantoven, warfarin, Coumadin
- Cardiac medications like nicardipine and quinidine
- Medications gave to prevent organ transplant rejection such as tacrolimus, cyclosporine, sirolimus
- Seizure medication like phenytoin, carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, fosphenytoin, phenobarbital, primidone
- Tuberculosis medication like rifapentine, isoniazid, rifampin and rifabutin
This is not the complete list if you want to know more than you can consult your doctor for further information.
Where should I store generic Imatinib?
Store Imatinib capsules in a cool and dry place away from light, moisture, reach of children.
Frequently asked Questions
I am suffering from severe stomach problems and my doctor recommended me to take Imatinib capsules once a day. I am on medication of blood pressure drugs. Can I start it along with these medications or do I need to stop the medication first then continue with Imatinib capsules?
I will advise you not to take Imatinib capsules along with any other medication as it starts to interact with those drugs and results in Gleevec side effects which can be lethal too. You should talk to your doctor about the Imatinib treatment as it cannot be continued with blood pressure medications.
I am suffering from skin cancer and my doctor prescribed me to take Imatinib generic. I want to know about Imatinib prescribing information?
Hye, generic Imatinib is an effective drug for treatment of skin cancer. Following are the Imatinib prescribing information:It is strictly recommended to start Imatinib treatment under doctor’s supervision. Always take Imatinib tablets as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take Imatinib tablets more than recommended.Imatinib capsules should be taken with food. It is advised not to take Imatinib capsules empty stomach. Take Imatinib 400 mg with water. IF you don’t want to swallow it, then dissolve the drug in water or apple juice as Imatinib solubility rate is too high.Avoid crushing, breaking or chewing before swallowing Imatinib gleevec. Do not take crushed or broken Imatinib tablets as it can be passed into eyes, nose and mouth. If you encounter this, wash and sanitize your hands with water and soap. Imatinib 400 mg can weaken your immune system and lose the power to fight against infection. Your blood needs to be tested frequently.
I am 30 years old and suffering from problem of leukemia, my doctor prescribed me to take Imatinib 400 mg. I want to ask do I need to use any birth control method while having sex or it this Okay to have sex without any barrier method?
If is usually advised to have sex with birth control methods if you are on Imatinib treatment as the Imatinib solubility is too high and can be passed to women body while having sex especially when she can be pregnant. So, I will suggest you to use a condom while having sexual intercourse.
“I was suffering from skin cancer then my mother recommended me to buy Imatinib tablet online from online Pharmacy. Apart from fever and diarrhea, Imatinib tablet kept me alive for 11 years. Imatinib tablet is an effective medication which worked well for me. Imatinib price is affordable if you buy it online.” – Max from France
“I have been taking Imatinib 400 mg online from Online Pharmacy as one of my friends recommended me to buy it online. I am 26 now in December 2015 and living a normal life.Imatinib 400 mg saved my life and I feel lucky to be alive.” – Kenneth from UK
“I have been having Imatinib treatment for a year now, in the beginning, I felt very tired and back pain, but now I am feeling well. Imatinib gleevec is helping me a lot to fight against skin cancer and my condition is improving too. I purchase Imatinib gleevec online from Online Pharmacy” – John from Canada
“I was diagnosed with Chronic myelogenous leukemia in March 2011, then my doctor recommended me to buy Gleevec drug online from Online Pharmacy as it was not possible for me to visit chemist every time. The gleevec drug worked for me for about 2 years. I threw up almost each night on it. I had rashes all over my body, had fever and muscle pain too. But with it all went away and the situation started to improve. Now I am alright and living a happy and healthy life. Thanks to Gleevec drug from deep of my heart.”– Mathew from France