What is Ondansetron hcl?
Ondansetron hcl triggers nausea and vomiting. It is a medical drug that not only blocks the actions of chemicals in the body that can result in vomiting, nausea caused by surgery or by medicine treating cancer (chemotherapy or radiation).
In case you are allergic to ondansetron or similar medications like granisetron (Kytril), dolasetron (Anzemet), apomorphine (Apokyn), or palonosetron (Aloxi) do not take this medicine. Rather you should inform the doctor about the same. Besides, if you have liver or kidney disease, or a genetic problem of Long QT syndrome then also inform the doctor about the same before using the medicine.
Herbal and Dietary Supplements Deserve Your Attention
Ondansetron hcl is an orally disintegrating medicine that may include phenylalanine. In case you suffer from phenylketonuria (PKU) inform your doctor about the same.Some of the serious side effects of this medicine include temporary vision loss, slow heart rate, feeling like you might pass out, trouble breathing, blurred vision, agitation, shivering, and urinating less than normal do inform to the doctor immediately. Nevertheless, this medicine may also retard your thinking or reactions. So, better be careful while driving or doing other activities.
Before taking this medicine
In case you are allergic to ondansetron or similar medications like granisetron (Kytril), dolasetron (Anzemet), apomorphine (Apokyn), or palonosetron (Aloxi) do tell your doctor about the same.Besides, if you have liver or kidney disease, a genetic problem of Long QT syndrome, or a congestive heart failure then also inform the doctor about the same before using the medicine.
FDA pregnancy category B
It is still not clear whether the use of Ondansetron hcl is safe for a pregnant woman or not as it may harm an unborn baby. Besides, if any lady is a feeding mom should also check with the doctor about the use of the medicine as Ondansetron hcl may enter breast milk and harm the nursing infant.Do not give Ondansetron to a child younger than 4 years old. Ondansetron hcl is an orally disintegrating medicine that may include phenylalanine. In case you suffer from phenylketonuria (PKU) inform your doctor about the same.
Even though the intake of Ondansetron hcl is tolerable but there are situations when an emergency medical help may be needed. Some of the serious side effects of this medicine include temporary vision loss, slow heart rate, feeling like you might pass out, trouble breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat, blurred vision, agitation, shivering, and urinating less than normal.
Less dangerous side effects of Ondansetron hcl are:
- Diarrhea or constipation;
- weakness or tired feeling;
- The above may not be a complete list of side effects. In case you find some unusual side effects then call your doctor immediately or report about the same to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 FREE.
What other drugs will affect Ondansetron hcl?
There are drugs that interact with Ondansetron hcl, and may cause side effects.
- arsenic trioxide (Trisenox)
- tramadol (Ultracet, Ultram)
- tacrolimus (Prograf)
- An antibiotic like erythromycin (Ery-Tab, Erythrocin, E.E.S., Pediazole, EryPed,)clarithromycin (Biaxin), levofloxacin (Levaquin), pentamidine (NebuPent, Pentam), moxifloxacin (Avelox), or rifampin (Rifadin, Rifater, Rimactane)
- an antidepressant like clomipramine (Anafranil), amitriptylline (Elavil, Limbitrol, Vanatrip), or desipramine (Norpramin)
- Medicines for anti-malaria like mefloquine (Lariam) or chloroquine (Aralen)
- Medicines for heart rhythm like dofetilide (Tikosyn), amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone), dronedarone (Multaq), disopyramide (Norpace), procainamide (Procan, Pronestyl), ibutilide (Corvert), quinidine (Quin-G), propafenone (Rythmol), or sotalol (Betapace)
- medicine to treat or stop vomiting and nausealike droperidol (Inapsine), dolasetron (Anzemet), or ondansetron
- medicines for treat psychiatric disorders, like clozapine (FazaClo, Clozaril), chlorpromazine (Thorazine), pimozide (Orap), haloperidol (Haldol), ziprasidone (Geodon), or thioridazine (Mellaril)
- medicine for migraine headache like zolmitriptan (Zomig), sumatriptan (Imitrex, Treximet)
- narcotic medication like methadone (Diskets, Methadose, Dolophine);
- seizure medication like carbamazepine (Tegretol, Carbatrol), phenobarbital (Luminal), or phenytoin (Dilantin)
Ondansetron hcl may also interact with other medications, including over-the-counter medicines, prescription, herbal products, and vitamins. Inform your doctor about them to get rid of side effects.
What happens if I miss a dose?
In case you miss a dose then take the skipped dose as soon as remembers. But the missed dose should only be taken if the next dose is not scheduled to avoid the side effects of overdose.
What happens if I overdose?
In case you overdose yourself with Dostinex then call your doctor for medical assistance. Some common signs of overdose are sudden loss of vision, severe constipation, fainting, or light-headed feel.
What should I avoid?
Ondansetron hcl may retard your thinking or reactions. So, better be careful while driving or doing other activities.
How should I take Ondansetron hcl?
The intake of the medicine should be made as prescribed by the doctor. It is very important for the patient to read through all the directions carefully so that no smaller or larger use of the medicine is made. The medicine can be taken with food or without food with a glass full of water to avoid dehydration.
The use of Ondansetron hcl orally disintegrating tablet:
The medicine should always be kept in its blister pack till the time you are ready for use.Never push a tablet through the foil as this may result in damaging the medicine.Your hands should be neat and clean at the time of using medicine. Place it in your mouth otherwise it will begin to dissolve right away.Allow the medicine to dissolve properly. Do not swallow it or chew it.In case of oral suspension of Zofran generic the liquid solution should be measured first with a dose-measuring device.
This will help prevent smaller or larger intake of medicine.Your doctor will perform tests to make sure you do not have heart conditions that would prevent you from safely using Zofran generic. Your heart function may also need to be tested using an electrocardiograph or ECG (sometimes called an EKG). Zofran generic should be stored at room temperature away from heat and moisture.
Reviews for Ondansetron
User Rating: 10
Ondansetron hcl for Nausea/Vomiting, Postoperative: Since I have started using this medicine my complaints regarding vomiting and nausea stopped. My life has been okay by now.
User Rating: 9.0
For Nausea/Vomiting: A shot of this medicine definitely helped me and my husband to get rid of nausea and vomiting. But regretfully, it put us on sinus.